Organizations certified to OHSAS 18001 report a range of benefits, including:
- A reduction in lost working days
- Fewer workplace accidents
- Fewer medical claims
- A more disciplined approach to safety
- Improved employee motivation, retention and satisfaction
- Reduced legal costs
- Less time and money spent on accident-related investigation and paperwork.
Employers who have adopted OHSAS 18001 report that it promotes greater employee awareness and understanding of health and safety at work.
Organizations which have attained registration maintain that it leads to improved internal and external communications and a more disciplined attitude among employees to health and safety matters.