Our customer, a Biopharma company maintains an onsite Emergency Response Team (ERT) to mitigate the risks of fire and other emergencies. These ERT teams receive specialised training at the Chris Mee Group dedicated Fire Training Centre in Cork. However, the business takes periodic maintenance shutdowns to overhaul key plant and equipment. During this time, employees – including the ERT teams ideally, take annual leave.
The maintenance work however, requires specialist ERT cover, as some of it is hazardous and/or takes place within Confined Spaces. The company needed to provide a 24/7 ERT cover from an external source.
Chris Mee Group was tasked with providing the support requested, which included:
– Provision of trained ERT staff on a 24/7 basis for the duration of the shutdown – plus 2 planning/set up days
– Support Services included provision of confined space rescue, rescue at height, provision of first aid, liaison with local emergency response agencies as/when required.
– Provision of all necessary equipment for same.
In addition, the following support services were included in the support package:
– A pre shutdown induction presentation for all staff and contractors Provision of safety training for anyone who needed it – confined space entry, chemical safety, working at heights, first aid, mental health awareness, Atex Awareness and others.
– Provision of Safepass training for those needing it – including coordination with Solas to handle the particular needs of the international contractors.
– Design and provision of site safety auditing services – customised to the shutdown.
Provision of an online contractor induction service.
– The customer was pleasantly surprised at the exemplary professionalism of our teams – saying they “We got more than we asked for. The guys really showed us a professional and practical attitude to safety that impressed us.”
– The customer is also considering permanently outsourcing the ERT work not just because of the high standards provided – but because it was it greatly helps to manage their annual leave requirements. It also turned out to be quite neutral in terms of cost.
-By coordinating the Safepass training requirement, it avoided a lot of time wasting on the part of international contractors: this minimised the “dead” days, when contractors without Safepass Cards, cannot go onsite.
The tripod and rope system is used to effect rescue from confined spaces
The Sked is a Stretcher flexible enough to fit into confined and tight spaces – and strong enough to lift an injured person out securely. Here it is being used for a rescue from height.