EMAS and ISO 14001
Enquire about EMAS and ISO 14001 Consultancy
CMSE assists private and public sector clients in achieving the relevant ISO 14001 or EMAS standard. We assess the likely impact on your business of environmental and social issues, new regulations, consumer concerns, and supply chain issues. We then help you to develop appropriate policies and management systems to manage these business risks. Our Environmental Management Systems (EMS) team will prepare your submission and work through the management system accreditation process to help you achieve the standard.
Eco Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) and ISO 14001
Under the EU`s Eco Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS), companies and other organisations commit themselves to evaluate, manage and improve their environmental performance. ISO 14001 acts as a stepping stone in moving towards EMAS.
Instead of implementing full EMS such as ISO 14001 or EMAS, some businesses prefer to achieve accreditation in a staged or phased way, minimising interruption to core activities. Phased introduction of an EMS is suitable for manufacturing SMEs and may be grant-aided. CMSE can assist and provide guidance on these grants. Such an EMS could also include the Green Dragon System. A phased approach to EMS typically consists of achieving the following series of levels:
- Quantifying material inputs and outputs (water, waste, air and noise emissions)
- Establishing a register of relevant environmental legislation and compliance requirements
- Identifying significant environmental impacts
- Developing and establishing an environmental programme and appropriate operational controls for site activity
- Ongoing review and modification for continuous improvement and meeting the committments laid down in a company Environmental Policy Statement
Saving Costs and Reaping Benefits
Certified systems such as EMAS or ISO 14001 may not realise tangible benefits if they are poorly set up and implemented, or merely left as a plan to gather dust on a shelf. At CMSE, our EMS team has extensive experience in preparing and implementing practical systems. Our goal is to facilitate the companies we work with in developing an EMS that will drive both environmental and business performances – achieving real savings and real benefits.