On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate practical first aid skills to Occupational First Aider standard.
- Explain new developments in First Aid.
This course is intended for certified first aiders who wish to keep up with developments in first aid practice and to refresh skills that may be only occasionally used.
- Chain of Survival / Scene Safety / Responsibilities of First Aider
- Unconsciousness – Examination of unconscious casualty / Recovery position
- Resuscitation – Practical demonstration and class practice / Asphyxia / Heart attack / Approach and treatment
- Bleeding and Wounds – Control of bleeding and wounds including amputation, wounds with a foreign body, internal bleeding, assessment of fractures and appropriate treatment
- Injuries – Examination of the eye, treatment of foreign bodies and chemical splashes in the eye
- Burns and Scalds / Poisoning – causes and treatment / Epilepsy / Asthma / Crush injuries – approach and treatment